Thursday 4 November 2010

The Hidden Question of My Heart - Part 2

I can well imagine that enraptured seven year old boy, sitting in the front row at mass, all ears as the the Priest spun the story of the 'House Built on Sand'. It was so obvious, wasn't it? How stupid of that guy to build his house on sand! Even my soft seven year old brain could get it. He was so vain, so lazy. I could get the hard-working one, it took time to build his house on the rock; it was painstaking attention to detail, it was back-breaking work. It wasn't easy. As a good catholic boy, I could understand that.

In short, I wanted to be that man who built his house on the rock. I wanted to do things properly and right but I missed something even at that early age. I knew what I wanted but I didn't know how to get it. That little something was hidden right at the beginning of the parable before we got to the exciting bit about the flood knocking down the house built on sand. It was the still small voice that I had missed and wouldn't find again for another eight years. Missing it sent me off on a wild goose chase until I was 15 but even so now and again that wild goose keeps running past my door.

Now . . . what was that little I missed? Ummm . . .

Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on a rock. (Matt 7:24)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be honest, but be respectful. Blessings to you All.